26 January 2010

manipulating scrap


Nothing like getting distracted by a scrap metal facility and spending the next 3 hours searching through rusted and greasy industrial parts, other people's metallic throwaways, and discovering an ample pile of stuff to use. Part of this sculpture is new material [the steel wire and copper pipe]. The rest of it is from scrap and found objects. This, my first attempt at sculpture, has me noticing the much larger, gigantor-sized industrial parts at the scrap metal facilities that I need a pick-up truck bed to haul. I daydream of mega-sized sculptures that require a park or warehouse to inhabit. Maybe someday, after gaining welding/metalsmithing experience and a super-buff assistant...

2 comments:

  1. I love this sculpture watergirl! Keep it going. I'll come help when the buff assistant is there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I love it when things just emerge and you're not even trying for it. How fun:)

    ReplyDelete